Lots of bugfixes this time, but a couple of new goodies too. Windows users, you might have to download it manually. The updater is still a bit temperamental.
The Steam release draws ever closer — I've decided that I want the game to come out of beta before it goes onto Steam. Leaving beta doesn't mean I'll stop updating; it just means there can't be anything left that feels unfinished. It also means I need to do a trailer. I hate doing trailers. I hate it so much! I just want to write my game and have people magically know it exists.
- New stuff!
- Gas clouds
- I originally wanted these to expand, and I perhaps they will in the future, but I implemented it and I didn't like how it played. So for now they just hang there.
- A couple of new enemies
- The portable yin-yang protector item is now unlockable for use in the editor.
- Levels up to 100 ;)
- Improved texture compression — textures now 24% smaller on disk and in memory.
- Reduced memory usage from 80 bytes per map cell to 64. Smaller data means smoother gaming!
- Bugs fixed
- Pressing weird keys on the keyboard could crash the game
- Bullets would sometimes miss mirrors they were supposed to hit. This shouldn't happen anymore.
- Cursor no longer disappears when pointing at the window titlebar or border on Windows.
- The editor has a feature which draws walls around your map for you, but it didn't always work reliably. Should be better now.
- Putting walls around your map is a good idea because otherwise the terrain generator doesn't know what to do and you get a black background.
- I'm thinking about adding “style points” for maps, where maps that are ugly in this way get a lower ranking.
- Maps that rely on bugs could also be detected.
- Re-wrote copiers
- These were really janky. You could use them to copy items onto things like conveyor belts, which led to general bugginess.
- You could copy yourself, which is a neat idea, but it was extremely buggy. This has been removed for now. It'll probably come back in some form.
- Fix ramps getting stuck down if stuff died on them
- Fix un-gettable secrets
- Lots of small audio and graphics fixes and improvements
- Lots of tweaks to levels and a few bad levels totally replaced
- Changed the maximum level size
- The old maximum was 1000x1000 cells. No levels came close to this.
- The new maximum is 16384 cells total (any dimensions). Only 2 level pit levels exceeded this, and those had performance problems. Those levels will still work, but new levels have to be under the new limit.
- Fixed a couple of problems with 2.1.13
- Some items were missing from the editor on Windows
- Some network requests would still be made in offline mode
- Menu keyboard shortcuts were broken
- Improved a couple of levels